Bangalore is yet to get a lot more in this era it seems. For the first time in India, the IT capital Bangalore is going to fulfill our "dream come true wish" i.e. free Wifi for public. The service is named as ‘Namma Wifi’ (meaning Our Wi-Fi).
The services will be available from the happening places such as M G Road, Brigade Road and four other locations in the city of Bangalore. Public are allowed to access free wireless Internet connectivity starting this Friday effectively. The place near Metro station on M.G. Road will be the first in the list.
In the last budget Chief Minister Siddaramaiah promised to introduce the service freely. The service will be there at the Traffic and Transmit Management Centres (TTMCs) at Shanthinagar, Yeshwanthpur and Koramangala, besides CMH Road in Indiranagar.
How do you access the Wi-Fi?
Follow the below mentioned procedure to access free Namma Wi-Fi.
1. You have to switch on its Wi-Fi service in their device.
2. You will be prompted with Wi-Fi options with Namma Wi-Fi.
3. Click on “Namma Wifi” page prompted and it will open in web browser.
4. Now enter the mobile number and the passkey sent to you via SMS
5. Once you enter password you will be connected t Wi-Fi.
1. You can browse the net free for 30 minutes in 24 hours.
2. You can get internet speeds of about 512 kbps.
3. You are restricted to access certain websites.
Similar to internet on Airport terminals, ‘Namma Wifi’ will work on the similar concept.
Government Tie up Service :
Department of IT, Government of Karnataka has tied up with a private internet service provider D-VoiS to start this venture.
Expanding the service other than Bangalore ?
Yes, Government has plan to provide similar service in Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli-Dharwad and some other towns in north Karnataka in the coming months respectively.
The man behind the concept :
The famous technocrat T V Mohandas Pai of the Manipal Global Education, Karnataka Information and Communication Technology Group (KIG-2020) has initiated this project of giving free Wi-Fi in the city. He also added that KIG wants to offer IT capital of India some free Wi-Fi zones.
It is expected from an IT city to offer such kind of free service for public. Lets hope to get the service in other cities also.